Whether you’re new to exercise or a seasoned athlete, staying fit and healthy whilst pregnant will go a long way towards making this exciting time as comfortable as possible. We can’t guarantee a quick, pain-free labour but we can promise to help you feel stronger, have more energy and gain confidence with your ever-changing shape.
Gone are the days when putting your feet up was considered the best course of action.
Safely exercising through your pregnancy can have the following benefits:
- Quicker postnatal recovery and return to your pre-pregnancy body
- Stronger core and pelvic floor muscles to help support the weight of your baby
- Postural correction (prevent muscles becoming tight or over-stretched)
- Reduction of common pregnancy ailments such as back pain, varicose veins, constipation, cramps, swelling, high blood pressure and gestational diabetes
- Improved circulation and blood flow
- Increased calcium absorption (prevent osteoporosis)
- Relaxation and “time-out” which can aid sleep
- Improved self-esteem and body-confidence
- Better mental well-being which can decrease the chance of PND
- Greater stamina to cope with demands of labour (and motherhood!)
- Prevention of excess weight gain
Obviously pregnancy is not the time to start training for a marathon or even to try and improve your fitness levels, but it is the ideal time to put yourself first and make sure you’re in tip-top condition: There are some physically challenging times ahead!
During the consultation your trainer will carry out a medical screening to obtain details about your pregnancy and current health. Once you have the all-clear, we’ll put together a program which focuses on stretching and strengthening key muscles (including the all important pelvic floor), and tailor the exercises to your fitness level and interests. The program will be adjusted as your pregnancy progresses and you will be closely monitored at all times.
Please ensure that you have GP / midwife clearance before commencing an exercise program when pregnant.